Friday, February 24, 2012

Brussel Sprouts & Butternut Squash with Roasted Garlic

As my Brussel Sprouts & Butternut Squash with Roasted Garlic were roasting in the oven I had about 30 minutes or so to surf the web.  During that time I stumbled upon an eye opening story about how our culture views eating habits today as opposed to yesteryear. 

I remember back in the day when we ate produce that we either harvested from the garden on the front yard bank or from berry bushes in the woods.

Vegetables were a primary staple in our families diet.  Heck my mom fed a family of seven on one chicken, and trust me the chickens back in the day weren't hopped up on steroids which meant they were normal size, small.  One chicken thigh and the gizzard was designated for me.  If we were still hungry, which we were not, then the reply would be "have more salad or veggies".

Lent season started earlier this week and I have decided to give up red meat and pork.  So veggies will be my main focus for the next 40 days.  I love veggies as long as they are prepared correctly.  Correctly meaning roasted or raw, I'm not a big fan of steamed veggies though.



Whoops! I rambled on a bit there, here's the article I was referring to titled “Tastes Worth Dying For,”

By now many of us are familiar with the infamous news of the man who suffered a heart attack last week while eating a Triple Bypass Burger at the Heat Attack Grill in Las Vegas. The very sad part is that onlookers thought it was a stunt and were actually taking pictures of the man’s suffering. Thankfully, as of today, he has survived, but this incident brings up the question, “How did we, as a culture, get to this point?” How did we go from my parents’ generation of surviving the Great Depression by eating dandelion greens and growing gardens out of necessity ~ to today’s Heart Attack Grill slogan that touts, “Tastes Worth Dying For,” and having their 575 lb spokesman die last year at the age of twenty nine? ....Read More

Brussel Sprouts & Butternut Squash with Roasted Garlic
Tossed together some brussel sprouts, butternut squash, a couple of heads of garlic, an onion and any other root veggies you have in the fridge or pantry, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and some dried basil.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  

I've never been a champion of the brussel spout, but when roasted they have a chance to caramelize and end up tasting like nature's candy.  Enjoy!

ZN3QVAC5Q7QT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Subscribe to my RSS feed. Oh and I'm on Pinterest too.

Thanks!
Deborah :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...