Saturday, February 25, 2012

Thai Chicken Sausage Salad

 I am starting to like my new job.  It has been decades since I last worked retail.  At first I hated it and had a daily mantra of "Deborah Do Not Walk Out The Door You Need A Paycheck!".

But as the days there grow in number the aching in my feet is starting to subside.  Plus, I remind myself of all the calories I am burning in each eight our shift of standing, walking, lifting and reaching, bending and squatting.

During my breaks I make sure I am eating healthy snacks and drinking plenty of water all to ignite the metabolism furnace in an effort to create fat burn.  Unfortunately once home I lose momentum and have succumb to many-a-late night junk food binge of corn-dogs and hot pockets and the likes.  Luckily though I have steered clear of the Pop-tarts in the pantry that have been calling my name, loud and clear. 

Now, before leaving for work I throw together a salad and leave in the fridge ready and waiting for me.  The crunchy crispy lettuce and succulent chicken sausage, mixed with the spicy nutty dressing, satiate that need to much.  Plus it's filling enough to hold me over until morning.


Thai Chicken Sausage Salad:

2-3 Chicken Sausage Links- browned, cooked to done and sliced into 1/4 inch coins
1 head of Romain Lettuce-washed, dried and ripped to bite size pieces
1/2 red onion-sliced into rings
1/2 C Cherry or Grape Tomatoes-washed
1 carrot- shredded

Toss all ingredients together, once prepped as directed above, in a large salad bowl and serve drizzled with Thai Peanut Dressing.  Recipe below. Enjoy!  


Thai Peanut Dressing:
1/2 C peanut butter
1 lime, juiced and zested
2 1/2 t sesame oil
1 T seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 T low sodium soy sauce
3 T honey
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 T minced ginger
1/2 C chopped cilantro 
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/4 t or to taste kosher salt
2-3 t or to taste sriracha chili sauce*
2-4 T water

Place all dressing ingredients except the water in the blender and process till smooth, drizzle in the water during processing until it reaches your desired consistency.  Yields 2 cups of dressing.  Store in refrigerator.


* Sriracha is a type of Thai hot sauce, it's a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. 



Image: Piyachok Thawornmat / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. That's a great photo of the salad! It sounds like something I would love! Yes, we definitely have the same taste in food! I also love that you included a link of the sriracha sauce! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lillian, it was afun post to write. Can you believe it, sriracha is not available in every grocer's aisle. :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Subscribe to my RSS feed. Oh and I'm on Pinterest too.

Thanks!
Deborah :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...