Friday, March 9, 2012

Ahi Tuna Poke with Gomo Wakame

 I had this crazy craving for some really good sashimi today!  When I was in California last year I ate this stuff nearly everyday.  I'd dress up my grand daughter put her in the stroller and off we'd go to the local grocer.  The only difference is they used salmon instead of the traditional ahi tuna.  Poke (Po-kay) means tiny little pieces in this case tuna.  Because the tuna is uncooked and fresh it has a nice meaty texture, but is still very tender not mushy however.   I served mine today with a side of Gomo Wakame which is seaweed salad. 



So on the way home from work I picked up a 6oz. sashimi grade Ahi Tuna Steak from Wegman's.  I recommend the raw tuna at the sushi bar not at the fish counter.  Sashimi it is intended for raw consumption and is handled with a higher standard of food safety in mind, (so I tell myself). 

Now, this is not traditional Hawaiian poke as I didn't have some of the ingredients, but as you know I make due with what's in the pantry. 

After dicing the Ahi Tuna steak into 1/2 inch cubes I mixed it with about 1/4 cup Soy Sauce, half small onion minced, 2T  Gomo Wakame chopped, a pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 garlic clove minced.  Let it set in the refrigerator covered for about 30 minutes. 

Serve it on a bed of lettuce and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.  Grab a pair of chop sticks and Enjoy!!


Note: this is one of those foods that must be eaten at the time it is prepared.  If you let it sit around the texture goes horribly wrong. 

Here's a link to a video of how to make Spicey Ahi Tuna Poke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Subscribe to my RSS feed. Oh and I'm on Pinterest too.

Thanks!
Deborah :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...