Friday, March 30, 2012

Dilled Devil Eggs with Caviar


                                                     Sink your teeth into these beauties!!! 


A small jar of caviar goes a long way and I still have a bunch to use up yet.  My sisters and I always make a batch of Deviled Eggs for Thanksgiving and I figure with Easter coming up next weekend this recipe is timely.  I also had plenty of dill leftover from last weeks snack recipe.  The only thing I didn't have on hand, believe it or not, was mayonnaise.  I know right? Who doesn't have mayo in the fridge?!?  No worries though we have like a gallon of nonfat Greek yogurt so I substituted with that.  Which dropped the calorie count on these way down. 

Here's what I used:
5 fresh eggs
2 tsp fresh dill chopped
1/4 C Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
pinches of salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper, garlic powder
1/2 tsp yellow mustard.  

snackersdelight.blogspot.com

First your eggs should look exactly as mine do after they have been hard-boiled.  Perfectly yellow and fluffy and no obnoxious odor.  

If you have a green ring around them or if they smell like sulfur than you'll want to follow my directions.  I know there are a lot of over the top techniques out there, like poke a whole in the bottom or let them sit in the hot water after boiling them or how about cooking them in the oven.  But really folks boiling an egg IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

Place your eggs in a  2 quart sauce pan, cover with cold tap water and place on stove over a medium flame.  Set the timer for 20 minutes.  Go do something.  When the timer goes off drain the water from the pot leaving the eggs in the pot.  Fill pot with ice and cover that with water, let the eggs in ice water sit on the counter for 10 minutes.  Peel the eggs immediately.  That's it, nothing more, nothing less.  :) 

Cut your eggs in half, lengthwise.  Remove your perfectly cooked yolks from the egg white.  Place the whites on a plate and set it to the side for later.  Place the yolks in a small bowl and mash the yolks with the back of a fork.


Once the egg yolks are crumbled into small uniformed sized pieces it's time to add some spices and seasonings. 



I've added dill, salt, pepper, mustard and nonfat Greek yogurt.  The yogurt is very bland so adding spices is so important here.  The garlic powder is a definite must add otherwise you'll be standing at the counter as I was saying " Hmmm something is missing!"

Oh and these are Deviled Eggs so gotta add a bit of the devil.  Shake a couple of dashes of Red Pepper Cayenne in there.  In my opinion the more the better, but kids were going to be eating this batch as well so I had to use it sparingly.  Stir it all up into a smooth paste.

Once you've got it all mixed up and tasting the way you want, use a spatula to scoop your mix into a Ziploc baggie.  Seal the baggie except for about a quarter of an inch at the top.  Snip off one of the bottom corners about a 1/4- 1/2 inch.  You are now ready to pipe for filling into those egg whites over there.

Gently squeeze the filling into the cup of each egg white.  Evenly distributing to fill all of the cups. Get fancy make some swirls and pointy peaks. 

snackersdelight.blogspot.com
"Close the door! We're getting dressed here!"
You filling should be stiff enough to hold a peak, but not so dry that it has no shine to it.  I cold eat these just like this, but I promised you caviar.  I got my eye on that one in the front though.  Mmmm!

snackersdelight.blogspot.com
"Three's a party!"

Using a plastic spoon of knife drop a small lump of caviar on each and accent it with a very small sprig of fresh dill.  You don't want to use metal utensil when serving your caviar because it ruins the taste.  The material of choice for serving caviar is Mother-of-Pearl.  Mother-of-Pearl is non-reactive material and it lets caviar's fragile taste shine.  You can read more about caviar spoons here.

snackersdelight.blogspot.com
"Umm...where did everybody go?"
 Oh look at you...all dressed up and no where to go?  Come to momma!




I've attached links below that I feel may be of some use to you.  Check them out and let me know what your think:

,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Subscribe to my RSS feed. Oh and I'm on Pinterest too.

Thanks!
Deborah :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...